Top Ten Tuesday: Best Books of 2010

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted at The Broke and the Bookish and this week's topic is: Favorite Books Read in 2010.

10.  Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games
This book ushered me back in to the world of YA literature.  It also introduced me to the wide variety of dystopian books for teens.  It had a great premise and was reminiscent of Battle Royale, one of my favorite Japanese horror flicks.


9. David Nicholls, One Day
This is a sweet and bitter romantic novel that will make a wonderful movie.  I read it mostly on a trip to Portland, OR for a wedding and it made a perfect travel companion.




8. Steve Martin, An Object of Beauty
I haven't reviewed this yet, because I just finished reading it, but it was a lovely story and a great glimpse into the art world. 




7. Louann Bizendrine, M.D.  The Female Brain

This is my second favorite non-fiction book of the year.  I thought that the author avoided many of the potential pitfalls of tackling the nature/nurture debate and I learn some things about neuroscience in an accessible format.

 6. T.C. Boyle, The Tortilla Curtain
I was excited to read T.C. Boyle, since I have so many of his books on the shelf.  This book was poignant and germane to our times. 
5. Tim O'Brien, The Things They Carried
I can't believe that I waited this long to read this.  I always thought that I didn't like war literature, but this part truth, part fiction about the Vietnam War, taught me otherwise.


 4. Jill Bolte Taylor, PhD. My Stroke of Insight
 When 37 year old brain scientist, Jill Bolte Taylor, suffered a massive stroke, she determines to regain her functioning and not let it beat her.  This, my favorite non-fiction book of the year, details her struggle and teaches us all a lesson about the power of our brains and our will.
3. Chris Cleave, Little Bee
Little Bee had a mixed reception, but I fell in love immediately with the narrative voice and the playful use of language.  This book was a dance and I enjoyed each sad step.



2. Jonathan Tropper, This is Where I Leave You
This book is hilarious.  I read this on recommendation and enjoyed every minute. The characters were wonderfully drawn and their interactions were often shocking and always funny.






1. Dave Eggers, Zeitoun
Another heartbreaking work from Dave Eggers, the story of the Zeitoun family during Hurricane Katrina, was epic and disturbing and wonderfully engaging. This was, by far, my favorite book of the year.

Comments

  1. Absolutely loved The Things They Carried. Definitely one of the best war novels I have ever read. I liked Tortilla Curtain as well, but I was a bit put off by Boyle's prose and style - it seemed pretentious. The Hunger Games was pretty good, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great list. I really want to read This is where I leave You.

    I keep considering The Female Brain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Top 10 Books I Read in 2010

    1. The Trophy Bride's Tale by Cyrilla Barr
    2. The White Queen by Philippa Gregory
    3. The Red Queen by Philippa Gregory
    4. Ghost Hunt: Chilling Tales of the Unknown by Jason Dawes & Grant Wilson
    5. The Confessions of Catherine de Medici by C.W. Gortner
    6. A Man and His Maniac: The Bunkie Story by Charles Franklin Emery III
    7. Citizen Mitten by William Voedisch
    8. High on a Mountain by Tommie Lyn
    9. Expiation by Greg Messel
    10. A Season of Seduction by Jennifer Haymore

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Things They Carried. Very strong list.

    Here is my Top Ten of 2010 post: http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2010/12/top-ten-books-ive-read-in-2010.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved 'One Day' too. Have you read 'Starter for Ten'?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been seeing One Day on a lot of lists. I'm glad others liked ti as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list! Check out some of Tropper's other books if you liked this one -- I loved Book of Joe and How to Talk to a Widower. I also love TC Boyle but haven't read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some good books here , a few of them I read and enjoyed. Check out my list www.thephantomparagrapher.blogspot.com.
    BTW One Day is being made into a film- Anne Hathaway is playing the female lead

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments. Thanks for making me a happy blogger.

Popular Posts