Top Ten Dynamic DuosThese are the BFFs, partners in crime, powerful couples, and general groups of awesome people that I just can't get out of my head!
10. Emma and Dex from One Day: I love these two. Playful banter? Check. Built up sexual tension? Check. Who could ask for more.
9. Will Grayson and Tiny Cooper in Will Grayson Will Grayson: I love the portrayal of friendship in general in this book, but mostly, I love Tiny Cooper.
8. Brett Ashley and Jake Barnes from The Sun Also Rises: Just repeat what I said about Emma and Dex and then add some crazy coldness on her part.
7. Huck and Jim from The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn: Without Jim, Huck could never have lit out for the territory, and vice versa.
6. Jay Gatsby and Nick Carraway in The Great Gatsby: Here is another of my favorite unrequited love stories. No one loves Jay Gatsby as much as Nick does.
5. Katniss and Rue in The Hunger Games: I just love it when the these two pair up in the first book, and we get to see a whole new, nurturing side of the heroine.
4. Benjy and Caddy in The Sound and the Fury: Faulkner said that he wrote that he wrote this masterpiece because he saw an image of a girl in a tree and he wanted to write her story (or something pretty close to that). If TSATF is that story, I believe Benjy knows it the best.
3. Josh and Marley in Marley and Me: Nothing like the story of a man and his dog. This book made me cry a lot.
2. George and Lennie in Of Mice and Men: Lennie is one of the saddest and most touching characterizations in literature.
1. Queequeg and Ismael in Moby Dick: They are after all "bosom friends." Check out this passage:Ismael on Queequg: "He seemed to take to me quite as naturally and unbiddenly as I to him; and when our smoke was over, he pressed his forehead against mine, clasped me round the waist and said that henceforth we were married; meaning, in his country's phrase, that we were bosom friends. [And a bit later]. Thus, then, in our hearts' honeymoon, lay I and Queequeg-- a cosy, loving pair."
I have a sticker on my laptop that says "Queequeg and I are just friends." It is incredibly nerdy and no one ever gets it.