Top Ten Tuesday: Reading Again

"A good reader, a major reader, an active and creative reader is a rereader"
- Vladamir Nabokov, "Good Readers and Good Writers"
I aspire to be a major reader in Nabokov's definition and that is why I wish that I had more time to spend re-reading.  Thanks to the topic from The Broke and the Bookish, here is a place to start:  Top Ten Books I Want to Reread.

10.Barbara Kingsolver, The Bean Trees
I read this for the first time freshman year of high school and was enamored. I remember falling for Kingsolver's characters and wanting to read everything else she had written.
9.Madeline L'Engle, A Wrinkle in Time
This is the book I best remember being read to me when I was a child.  I thought the story was magic and I hated waiting for the next installment.
8.Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451
I read this in my eighth grade honors English class, and I remember it being the first assigned reading that I really liked.

7.J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye
I don't really remember reading Salinger for the first time.  I think I was in high school, but I was at least a junior or a senior.  I was underwhelmed, but I really want to read it again so I can remember why. 
6.Bram Stoker, Dracula
I read this for the first time in a Gothic Fiction class when I lived in London.  I intended to reread it for my M.A. exam, but it kept getting pushed to the bottom of the pile and only received a cursory skimming.  Consequently, I had a question on Dracula in the exam and bombed it (not the exam, but the question). 

5.Roald Dahl, The Witches
I don't have any really distinct memories of reading this book as a kid, but I do of watching the movie, which I still love.  As I was putting together my October, spooky reading list, I was really wishing I had a copy of this to add to the pile. 
4.James Joyce, Ulysses
Ulysses is a book that I have read just enough of to make me feel like it would be a reread if I picked it up again.  This is one of the most exhausting books imaginable; however, I would really like to be able to say that I have legitimately read it. 
3.William Gibson, Pattern Recognition
I read this a few years ago after reading Neuromancer and not liking it that much, but someone recommended this as a Gibson that I would like. I don't really remember anything about it except that I loved it.

2.Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
I haven't read this classic of American Literature since it was required reading in sixth grade.  Something tells me that I didn't give it the attention it deserved back then.
1. Charlotte Bronte, Jane Eyre
This is number one, because it is the book I am most vexed by.  I am pretty sure I've read the whole thing, but not entirely sure.  I've picked it up and read most of it twice.  The only way I'm going to know for sure if I read the whole thing is if I read it again.

Are you a rereader?  Which books do you like to read over and over again?

Comments

  1. I watched the film adaptation of The Witches for the first time a few years ago and was so shocked to see that they changed the ending. Hope you get a chance to reread the book soon and get the full Roald Dahl experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for being underwhelmed by The Catcher in the Rye as well! It's just so.... frustrating and annoying and I always expect it to be better than it is. But it's not. Also, ohmygosh please put To Kill a Mockingbird to the top of your reading pile. It's just so the greatest thing ever...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, DRACULA. I've got it right here. Perfect time for a reread as October nears. Thanks for the reminder!

    Great list, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane Eyre is one of my favorite books, and I'd re-read it as well. Though it didn't make my list this time.

    Thanks for stopping by In Libris Veritas

    ReplyDelete
  5. To Kill a Mockingbird is due for a reread. I really loved it when I read it in 8th grade.

    I still haven't gotten to A Wrinkle in Time.

    Good for you for wanting to take on Ulysses twice! We read/discussed some excerpts in class one week and it is definitely a tough read. I'll be happy to just read it all the through once.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was also very underwhelmed by Catcher in the Rye... not sure if it will ever make my reread list. I do really want to reread Wrinkle in Time! Loved that book as a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, yes, do re-read "To Kill a Mockingbird". I read it for the first time this summer and just LOVED It.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I may have read only half of the books on your list. I really have been putting off reading Jane Eyre for way too long. I don't have an inclination to read Dracula, but I like the film adaptions.

    Thanks for coming by my blog today. Hope to stay connected.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A Wrinkle in Time is one of my favourite books too. Every bit of it - the philosophy, Mrs Whatsit, Mrs Who, Mrs Which, Meg and Charles Wallace - oh so much love. I should add that to my rereading list too.

    And Jane Eyre's another one that I keep meaning to reread too. I used to read it all the time in middle school (idek) but I've barely read it since. The new YA retelling of it was pretty good as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read To Kill a Mockingbird and Catcher in the Rye quite a long time ago. I think it's time for me to give them both a reread.

    And The Witches is definitely one of the most fun Dahl books! :)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are right: every time I have reread a book I've loved, the reread has been a good experience. I will think about this some more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I commend you for making it (most of the way) through Ulysses the first time, not even counting you want to give it another go. Major kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. that is a tough list--I'd consider it an accomplishment if I read all of those once. Thanks so much for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OH The Bean Trees. I love that book so very much. I can't wait to reread it - I need to do it at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was underwhelmed by Catcher in the Rye when I read it last year. I'd heard that you are supposed to only enjoy it if you read it when you are young, so it sounds as though it might never be for you - hope you can work out the exact cause for your dislike though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I too would like to revisit a bunch of those required books from middle and high school, like Catcher in the Rye and Jane Eyre. And The Bean Trees is one of my favorites! It's actually one of the very few that I have read twice. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for visiting my blog!

    Your list is great, a lot of books that are on my should read list. In fact the only one I've read is Fahrenheit 451, I've read it at least three times though.
    Good luck with your list.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments. Thanks for making me a happy blogger.

Popular Posts