02 July 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Postmodern Lit

icanhascheezburger.com 
The Top Ten Tuesday topic at The Broke and the Bookish this week is:  Top Ten Books for People Who Like X Author

So, I wasn't sure who to choose, because I kind of like some weird stuff, but I know that a lot of other bloggers have read Bret Easton Ellis, so, for fans of Ellis, read this...  P.S.  This list is pretty Rated R.

10. Laurence Sterne, Tristram Shandy:  So, if you like postmodern lit, it is my humble opinion that it starts here.

9.  Herman Melville, Moby Dick: And then here.

8. J.G. Ballard, Crash or The Atrocity Exhibition:  Ballard is almost as nasty as Ellis, but different.  Crash  really disturbed me the first time I read it, but it is a pretty wonderful book.  The Atrocity Exhibition has illustrations.

7.  Gloria Anzaldua, Borderlands/La Frontera:  I could recommend Foucault here for a theoretical perspective on violence in literature, but I like Anzaldua, and this list needs some females.

6. Evan Mandery, Q: A Love Story:  This isn't like Ellis in content, but the style reminds of Ellis just a little bit. 

5. Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted:  This is the nastiest/ most violent Palahniuk book that I've read.  I actually don't really like this book, but some fans of Ellis might?

4. Don DeLillo, Cosmopolis: Again, this is not my favorite DeLillo (again, I don't really like it), but is the most reminiscent of Ellis.  Maybe I don't really like Ellis, except that I really do.

3. William Burroughs, The Ticket That Exploded:  This is the only Burroughs I've read, so that is what I'm recommending. 

2. Tao Lin, Shoplifting from American Apparel: Lin has a similar tone to Ellis in this book: nihilism.

1.  Ryan Bradley, Prize Winners:  This short story is brief, but packs a punch.  Like most of this list, it is not for the weak of stomach.

**Just another quick warning...almost all of these books contain graphic violence and sex.  Of course, if you like Ellis, you know that. But if you didn't know that, they do.

8 comments:

  1. Your list is great! Nothing against the YA fans, but it's great to see a list without any!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesomeness, you listed Evan Mandery's Q! =D I read it earlier this year and I absolutely loved it, been recommending it to everyone ever since <3

    Here's my TTT for this week

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kind of sort of hate Ellis except that I don't always, so I'm very confused as to whether I should buy all these immediately, or never look at the list again! I do really like Moby Dick though, and I really hate Tristram Shandy... Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of hate some of the books on my own list. But I also love/hate Ellis. I love both Moby Dick and Tristram Shandy though. I also love Borderlands. I wouldn't say I love Crash, but it is definitely worth reading too, and Prize Winners and Q are both books I liked.

      Delete
  4. I was just discussing Haunted with someone last night. I've wanted to read it, but I hadn't expected it to be the most nasty/violent (sensational?) Palahniuk novel. Intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, it was just kind of over the top. I was actually kind of Haunted by it though, which I guess makes the sensationalism effective. My favorite Palahniuk is Survivor.

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad you included Tristram Shandy on your list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. nteresting list. I enjoyed reading your titles and your descriptions are pretty provocative.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments. Thanks for making me a happy blogger.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Add This

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Travel the World: Europe kit by Studio JMdesigns