Top Ten of 2012 and 2013 Goals.

I realized that I never did a TOP BOOKS OF 2012 this year.  I read 63 books total, and wasn't super careful about keeping my stats.  I did read a lot of stuff that I really really liked this year though, so I"m going to do a top ten now:

10. The Odds by Stewart O'Nan: This a novella about a couple taking one last trip on the eve of their divorce.
9.The Bee Loud Glade by Steve Himmer: This is an indie title about a man who is hired to tend the garden of a very rich man, and his descent into hermit-dom.
8.  Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn:  Everybody already knows what this is about, right?  If not, I'm not giving it away.
7. The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson:  This story of an everyman in North Korea was moving and got me interested in researching North Korea.


6. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer:  This book was a beautiful object, and the story of a young boy on a treasure hunt after the death of his father on 9/11 was a tear jerker for sure.
5. The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides: Some people were let down by this book, and I was a little bit too, but the story of three college friends in the ecstatic years after graduation was still one of my favorites of the year.
4. Telegraph Avenue by Michael Chabon:  Chabon's writing is masterful, and I loved every dancing sentence in his new book- even the one that lasts twelve pages.


3.The Fault in Our Stars  by John Green:  Although this isn't my favorite John Green (that would be Will Grayson Will Grayson), John Green is still my favorite YA author.
2. Wonder by R. J. Palacio:  This is probably the biggest surprise of the year for me.  I really enjoyed the voice of the main character in this middle grade novel.
1. The Secret History by Donna Tartt:  This is my favorite of the year: ridiculous, compelling, tons of fun campus novel/mystery. 

I also want to set a few goals for this year.  I didn't join any challenges this year, so these goals are all my own.

1.  Continue to work on reading from my shelves.  To do this, I am not going to buy more than one book per month.  The exceptions are the book subscription services I belong to (Indiespensible and Melville House) or if anyone buys me a gift certificate.  I can also buy Kindle books if they are a deal, although I'm trying to cut back on that as well.
2. Read more classics.
3.  Read the review books that I already have before requesting more.

I'm keeping it simple this year.  How about you?

Comments

  1. I too need to read from my shelves- I'm pushing 60 in my TBR pile. Oops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even tell you how many are in mine, but I promise that it is more than 60. It's a serious situation.

      Delete
  2. I was super-not-that-into Telegraph Avenue, but I think, despite the presence of some ladies, it was pretty much a guy book. And that's fine. But it is not for me.

    I've been meaning to read A Secret History. I THINK I own it? I think? So hopefully soon. And The Marriage Plot, definitely, if only because Middlesex was so very awesome.

    (and Will Grayson, Will Grayson is the best)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad so many people are loving A Secret History this year! I know it was published a while ago but it is so fantastic!

    I've had the Bee-Loud Glade on my TBR list for a while, I'll have to pick it up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good plan! I'm working on my Classics Club list (I love the classics more than anything) and most of the books on my list are already in my library. I made a real effort to read books I already owned this year, and about 50% of what I read in 2012 was from my personal library.

    I think The Bee Loud Glade will make my best of 2012, if I ever get around to writing the post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments. Thanks for making me a happy blogger.

Popular Posts