TTT: Giving Props Where Props are Due

This week's Top Ten Tuesday topic, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, is: Top Ten Authors Who Deserve More Recognition.

So, props to you:




7. Yevgeny Zamayatin:  The novel We is a dystopian in the vein of 1984 and Brave New World. It just doesn't get nearly the air time.

6.  Maira Kalman:  I basically think everyone should be obsessed with Maira Kalman, because this...
Read And the Pursuit of Happiness now.  It will take only one blissful afternoon.

5. Jane Green:  In general, bloggers don't post a ton about the genre unfortunately known as "chick lit."  However, occasionally there is some mention of a Jennifer Weiner or such.  Jane Green is the awesomest though.

4. Gloria Anzaldua:   She is fantastic and fascinating if you enjoy essays, non-fiction. literary theory, and poetry. 

3. Daniel Defoe:  This Dead White Dude appears frequently on syllabi, but not so much on classics blogs that I've noticed.  Robinson Crusoe is the go-to, but Moll Flanders is fantastic.

2. Graham Swift:  He won a Booker (?) I think, and I don't hear much about him, and his book Waterland is in my top five favorites of all time.

1. Anne Carson:  This is another one that I would go to bat for, because she is awesome-sauce.  The Autobiography of Red is one of the most unusual and wonderful things I have ever read.



Comments

  1. Anzaldua sounds so familiar! I am frantically wracking my brain trying to figure out where I've read her. I'm thinking she was in an essay collection book we use with our AP students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is possible. The book is called Borderlands/La Frontera, and the essay that is usually anthologized is called "How To Tame A Wild Tongue."

      Delete
  2. The only author on your list I've read is Jane Green, but I agree that she's underrecognized for the chick-lit side of things especially! :) I'll have to check out some of the others now. I'm following you on GFC.

    My TTT:

    http://diamondinroughcoal.blogspot.com/2013/07/top-ten-tuesday-1.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments. Thanks for making me a happy blogger.

Popular Posts