Book Lover's Gift Guide: President's Day
Is there ever a bad time to give a book? I didn't think so, and that is why I am starting this new feature on my blog. Book giving guides for any occasion! Might as well start today with President's Day. Take you day off and read one of these gems.
1. Maira Kalman, And the Pursuit of Happiness - If you don't know Maira Kalman, you should. Might as well start here, with her beautifully illustrated journey exploring American democracy. This is the book that made me fall in love with Kalman and also a little bit with America. This is a great gift for someone that doesn't like to sit down with a long book, but loves whimsy and art and coffee table books.
2. George Saunders, Lincoln in the Bardo - Okay, so I have to admit that I haven't read this. Lots of other people have though!! The book is the first novel from short story extraordinaire George Saunders, whose collection The Tenth of December I have read and enjoyed. The novel takes place in the wake of Lincoln's son's death and during the Civil War. It would be a great gift for the reader in your life that loves the new, hip thing and is eager to read something unusual.
3. Barack Obama, The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream - Barack Obama is a truly talented writer, and both of his books are enjoyable reads. This one outlines his plan for the American people, which may not seem as appropriate now, but has the potential to be as hopeful as ever. Get this for you friend who eagerly watches the Obamas' every move and is hand making stickers for Michelle 2020.
4. The Constitution of the United States of America - This one is a little on the nose, but what better day to review the vision of our forefathers? Get this one for anyone, but especially that high schooler in your life, or the buddy that loves to argue politics, but hasn't really dug in to the original documents.
5. Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass- Whitman's poetry is as American as the Constitution. His Civil War songs are as good an introduction as any to that time period and would be perfect for any poetry or classics buff in your life.