Fall Into Reading Wrap-Up!


In September, I joined the Fall Into Reading Challenge at Callapiddardays, and it officially ends tomorrow, December 20th.  However, I am going on a vacation to lovely and rainy Disneyland tomorrow, so I am posting my wrap-up tonight.

Here are the books that I planned to read, but didn't:
Luis Rodriguez - Always Running (I think I picked this up, and started to read it, but got distracted by the Hunger Games Trilogy)
Sherman Alexie, The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven  (I just got burnt out on Western Lit, but I plan to pick this up soon).

Here are the books I did read:
Cormac McCarthy, No Country for Old Men (I liked it, but it was a whole lot like the movie, which made me feel a bit like I'd already read it)
Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games (Loved it.  I have been pacing myself through the rest of the trilogy, trying to savor it a bit)
T.C. Boyle, The Tortilla Curtain (I really respected this book, and plan to teach it.  It is definitely not a light read, but is definitely worth reading)
Jim Harrison, The English Major (This was not my favorite, but I think I will give Harrison another try in the next year)
Jonathan Tropper, This is Where I Leave You (This is one of my top five books I read this year.  I though it was hilarious)



My clear favorite of these books was This is Where I Leave You.  I was very happy to have read a complete T.C. Boyle book as well.  I had read isolated short stories in the past, but never the whole collection, or a novel.  I didn't change or modify my list at all throughout the course of the challenge, but I definitely read other things during this period.  I think I'm like most readers: easily distracted.   So, I like to set goals, but I try not to be too hard on myself if I deviate from them a bit.  Since I haven't participated in any blog challenges before this one, I see this as a success: 5/7...not bad.

Comments

Popular Posts