ARC Tour: Myra McEntire, Hourglass


Title: Hourglass
Author: Myra McEntire
Publisher: Egmont USA
Date: 2011
Genre: YA, Paranormal

397 pages.
Where I got it: Around the World ARC Tours
Challenges: None




At the beginning of Hourglass it seems that the main character Emerson is simply seeing ghosts.  I wasn't sure that I wanted to keep reading.  Although I did have a brief, but intense, love affair with Twilight, in general, I'm not a huge fan of the paranormal.  Lucky for me, this book rapidly spiraled into the land of science fiction, somewhere that, as a reader, I would much rather be.  Theoretical physics (there is a very little bit in this novel)?  Yes, please.


Emerson is a moody teenager with the extra burden of not knowing whether the people she sees are dead or alive.  Then she meets a charming stranger, Micheal, sent by her older brother to deal with the visions which she had been experiencing since the death of her parents years before.  Not only is he pretty hot, but he also has a whole world of secrets to reveal to Emerson about her true abilities.


I'll leave the plot summary at that as not to spoil it.  What I liked about the book was the propulsive plot.  I really wanted to know what was going to happen next, and it was clear at the end that there would be more (there is clearly a sequel in the works).  The chemistry that McEntire creates between Emerson and Michael is authentic as well.  There are some aspects of the book, on the other hand, that seemed unnecessary.  The relationship between Emerson and her best friend Lily was emphasized, but underdeveloped (perhaps to be further developed in a later volume).  There was some love triangle action as well that I could have done without.  Overall, I enjoyed the read.  And the cover is beautiful, right?

Comments

  1. Sounds like one to put on my TBR list this summer: I'm always on the hunt for strong YA novels to recommend to students...

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Laurie: Yeah. I thought it was fun and pretty clean as far as I remember. I like Emerson as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments. Thanks for making me a happy blogger.

Popular Posts