Top Ten Tuesday: Must be Santa...

image from marthastewart.com

Top Ten Tuesday is my favorite bookish meme, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.  With Christmas around the corner (SQUEE, I love Christmas), the topic this week is: Top Ten Books I Hope Santa Brings.

Let me preface by saying that I don't need any books.  None at all, but I will mine my wishlist for a few that I wouldn't mind finding under the tree.  All my justifications this week are quotes from other bloggers, with a link to the blog quoted, so that you can go and read all their wonderful reviews:)



10. Yannick Murphy, The Call : "It's one of kind, funny, sad, true, and utterly unputdownable. I absolutely love everything about The Call."-- From Beth Fish Reads

9.Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler, The Future of Us: "Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler’s collaborative The Future Of Us is a fast-paced, interesting read that will bring on waves of nostalgia for twenty-somethings (like me!) who can remember life before AOL, AIM, Facebook and MySpace. A time when our lives weren’t on display; when people didn’t yak on cell phones in restaurants and on the Metro; when your family photos were bound in albums, not tagged on Facebook." - From Write Meg!

8.Hit RECord, The Tiny Book of Tiny Stories Vol. 1: "It's not earth shattering but I found myself smiling while I read them. They are clever, witty, thought provoking, and enjoyable. Some of the illustrations had me laughing out loud. Others were a little sad." From A Musing Reviews

7.Kitty Burns Florey, Sister Bernadette's Barking Dog: The Quirky History and the Lost Art of Diagramming Sentences: "It would be impossible to overemphasize the shelf appeal of an accessible, diagramming-related book to the likes of me." From Book-Blog.com [This is pretty much how I feel as well:)]

6.Denis Johnson, Train Dreams: "These chapters pass like visions – like the fevered hallucinations that infect a logging crew near the beginning of this spectacular, short burst of fiction." --From Book Punch

5.The Best American Nonrequired Reading 20011 (Dave Eggers, Ed): "Forget the bland title, the latest Best American Nonrequired Reading presents a fresh, amusing, and wide-ranging compendium of last year's best nonfiction and fiction." From For the Love of Reading

4.Herve Le Tellier, Enough About Love: "I love author Hervé Le Tellier for examining the complexity of sex and relationships without judging his characters for their actions." --From The Book Lady's Blog (you should go read the whole review, which is adorable).

3.Maile Meloy, The Apothecary: "It is that familiarity that won me over and that makes this the type of story I will return to when I'm looking for a quick, feel good read." -- From Indie Reader Houston

2.Helen Oyeyemi, Mr. Fox: "Having now read Mr. Fox, Helen Oyeyemi’s fourth novel, I feel confident saying that I love, love, love Oyeyemi!" --From The Striped Armchair



1.Elissa Schappell, Blueprints for Building Better Girls: "Schappell is brilliant at ensconcing the reader in place, a teenage bedroom with Jacques Cousteau playing in the background, a drunken college campus, a quiet well-to do home, a starving artists’ view of New York City–then she starts peeling back the layers. By the end of each story, we are left as changed as the characters, with more to think about." From Annotation Nation

Comments

Popular Posts