Top Ten Tuesday: Book Clubbin'

I have never been a member of a book club.  I have serious book club envy.  Stories of sharing afternoon glasses of wine, finger sandwiches and book discussion make me a bit jealous.  So, the topic at The Broke and The Bookish for Top Ten Tuesday this week, just made me a little sad.  However, I will do it anyway, since I skipped last week.  If I had a book club, here are the TOP TEN books that I think it would be great to read (in no particular order).



10. Jennifer Haigh, Faith...because it is really wonderful, but also contains "issues," which lead to "discussions."
9. Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita...because I did have a brief stint with an online bookclub (no tea or wine or sandwiches), and people's reactions to this book are kind of fascinating.
7. Chris Cleave, Little Bee...because I just really loved it, and it seems book-clubby.
6. Dave Eggers, Zeitoun...because I think it is one of the most important books written in a decade, and everyone should read it (and cry a lot, if you are me anyway).

5. Ian McEwan, Atonement...because the plot feels open, and with openness, there is lots to talk about.
4. F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby...because it deserves reading and discussing beyond high school.
3. Watler Kirn, Up In The Air...because, like I talked about in yesterday's vlog, it is fascinatingly different from the movie.
2. Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale...because I love to teach it and talk about ti.

1. Barbara Kingsolver, The Poisonwood Bible...because I would really like to reread it, and book clubs like to talk about this one.  Right?

Comments

Popular Posts