HP Readalong: Chamber of Secrets, Part Uno

We are now on Book Two (Chamber of Secrets) for the HP Readalong hosted by Alice at Reading Rambo.  I really wanted to be on time for the posting , even though I'm only on page 111 of the book (EEKS). I was relieved however when I read the other posts today and many a readalonger claimed that this is her least favorite of the Potter books.  Because reading, it I'm a little bit like:


Which is okay, because there are parts that I do like.  For instance, floo powder, absolutely everything about the super duper awesome burrow (which reminds me a little bit of The Secret Garden, or, you know, that one kind of hippie friend's house growing up [did you guys have one of those?]), and then there are these little creeps:

http://ruthwilson.tumblr.com/
There is also a lot of repetition, just to remind you of what you read in the previous book, which probably makes sense if you are twelve and have been waiting like a year for the new book to come out, but I just want to yell: "YES, I AM AWARE THAT HARRY IS THE SEEKER FOR THE GRYFFINDOR QUIDDITCH TEAM! I JUST READ THAT! AND NO REALLY, GRINGOTTS IS A GOBLIN BANK?"  Grrrr on re-exposition.

This is actually why I stopped reading here last time, but it isn't going to get me this time.  I am going to charge through, stop being so grumpy, focus on the positive, and get to the good stuff, right?  And, in the meantime, because I remember it so well, I'm going to think about how I really loved the second half of the first book.  And on that note, this:

http://bellsbeautifulbooks.tumblr.com


Comments

  1. The sloth totally captures what this book is like. It has its good moments (Lockhart!) but mostly it's just ugh, can we move this along and get to the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everybody knows that we're about to move into the BEST book of the series. (and, perhaps not coincidentally, the best film of the franchise). well, maybe everybody doesn't know it yet, but they will.

    I've never seen that particular Hey, Girl before but I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Gos knows what is UP.

    I love the Burrow chapter - it is amazing. Other than that, I'm looking forward to the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am I really the only one who loves Chamber of Secrets?? Apparently either I have poor taste in HP book ranking or you all have not yet learned to appreciate the amazingness that is CoS. This book has SLUG BURPING and DEATHDAY PARTIES and TOILET GHOSTS and SCHOOLCHILDREN BEING POSSESSED BY DEMONS.

    It's a whirlwind of literary excellence, really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS That Ryan Gosling pic made me LOL.

      Delete
    2. I'll give it up to the Deathday party. That part was pretty awesome.

      Delete
  5. This is my least favorite book and all that re-exposition is le boring, but I do love the second part with the chamber and snake language niftiness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yessss this book is moving so slowly! All the repetition does get really annoying, but I do try to remember that they're for kids and that if you were reading them as they came out, it was a long wait. I really wish Rowling would have forseen readalongs though and decided to skip some of the recapping.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I'm sorry, you had a hippy friend who lived in an awesome/dilapidated house? THAT IS THE COOLEST EVER!

    But yeah, fear not! For this book will soon be over and we can MOVE ON! (Although I don't HATE this book. It's just my least favourite, which basically means I still LOVES it haha)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure that I had a friend with a dilapidated house. However, I have in my life had many friends with kind of wonderfully weird and warm homes. The Burrow reminds me of that.

      Delete
  8. Yeah, this book is definitely the worst in the series, but I did manage to enjoy a lot of the first half. Now, the second half...(vomit). But carry on, Prisoner of Azkaban is SO WORTH IT.

    ReplyDelete
  9. AUEAUGH THAT SLOTH. *bites it*

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm ok with the re-exposition because as a little little kid I would read Babysitter's Club Little Sister which had a chapter in every book that was EXACTLY THE SAME. Other exposition just doesn't compare to that level of mind melt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those were terrible. When I was a kid, I think I felt comforted by them. I just don't like how it is all spread out in this book. I want it all in one place so I can skip it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love your comments. Thanks for making me a happy blogger.

Popular Posts